Between October 2015 and February 2017, more than 1,300 people attended theatre performances taking place in East Durham community centres as a result of the Cultural Hubs programme.
Developed with the support of ARC Stockton, the Cultural Hubs programme took high quality theatre into local communities across the region.
The community centre managers worked closely with ARC Stockton and East Durham Creates to decide which performances took place at their venues and they were offered support and advice where required in areas ranging from ticket pricing to marketing.
Visit our resources section for ‘Top tips for organising a cultural event‘.
The venues which took part in the Cultural Hubs programme were:
- Blackhall Community Centre
- Castle Eden Village Hall
- Greenhills Centre, Wheatley Hill
- Horden Youth and Community Centre
- Shotton Community Centre
- Trimdon Station Community Centre
“We (4 month old, 4 year old and two adults) absolutely loved it! It was another fabulously different type of ‘show’ for us to watch and I think this is one of the greatest strengths of Greenhills and the wonderful staff who organise the events there. You always choose activities and plays that are totally different.” Audience member attending Meeting Mr Boom! at Greenhills Centre.
“It’s rare to find such events aimed at under 5s. My son is 2 and he was so enthralled.” Audience member attending Tree at Castle Eden Village Hall.
Performances which took place included:
- Tree by Theatre Hullabaloo
- Our Teacher is a Troll by Theatre Hullabaloo
- Bear and Butterfly by Theatre Hullabaloo
- Meeting Mr Boom! by Darren Ellis Dance
- Chicken Licken by DNA Puppetry and Visual Theatre
- Blast from the Past by Spiltmilk Dance
- Mobile by The Paper Birds Theatre Company
- The Price of Everything by Daniel Bye
- Little Bo Peep by Sea Legs Puppet Theatre
- The Friendly Giant by Sea Legs Puppet Theatre
- Jack and the Beans Talk by Garlic Theatre
- May Contain Food by Protein Dance
- Spirits of the Sea by Theatre Hullabaloo
- The Musicians of Bremen by Sea Legs Puppet Theatre
- The Ugly Duckling by Sea Legs Puppet Theatre